Thursday, August 2, 2012

DIY (Ombre Side Table)

Have you ever purchased a home decor item that you "had-to-have" at the time, and later turned to despise?  That's the case with a round side table we purchased about four years ago. It's just too clunky and dark for my current style.  I've tried to sell it, but couldn't find a buyer.  I could donate it, but I thought I'd try a DIY project first, since if I end up hating it, I don't have much to lose.

Here's the table in question beside the settee under our stairway.  Taking the West Elm lime green ombre throw as inspiration, I decided to ombre paint the table.


The table is metal, so I applied two coats of primer, then two coats of lime green spray paint all over.


Then I sprayed the bottom with a darker green, with a heavy hand at the bottom and a lighter spray as I approached the middle.  I did the same thing with gold spray paint at the top. It's not a precise paint job, but I wanted each color to bleed into the next, as opposed to having a taped straight line. 


Then I added a round beveled mirror (from Target) to the top, but I still need to glue it. 




I wouldn't say I'm in love with it or that it will stay forever, but I like it better than the before.  And spray paint is FUN:)

* * * *








28 comments:

  1. I love it! It really stands out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Mych less "clunky" than before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! I think it looks great! and the mirror is a great choice for the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! What a creative way to update something you have "grown out of"... Love it and the blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun transformation, girl. I am all about revamping to enjoy it again. Super clever, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Everything looks more balanced now, as before the right side seemed a bit weighty. And, you can always change it later. Love spray paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done!! I love making pieces I already have work. You lightened it visually by about 50 pounds! And super score finding a mirror top that fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not bad. Not bad at all! Great idea, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! It really brightens up the space (which is perfect since it's summer). Gotta love spray paint - no risk... come fall, maybe you'll want to spray it with more autumnal colors :-)

    xo Becky
    http://www.cuphalffull-sf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you added a little gold - glams it up with that mirror on top too! Such a fun project! I'd love to have something like this out on my deck. Hmmmm.......you've got my wheels turning now. ;) PS - I have that same silver vase -it's in my bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! The colors, ombre effect and the mirror on top definitely add the pizzazz it was missing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks fabulous Megan! Very clever and a nice touch of glam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I simply love it! Nice colour combination.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it incredible what a coat of paint or two will do for a piece? Makes you wonder what mfg. were thinking when they made it. Sure alot more personable now than that dull wood look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing....I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea! Love it!

    www.ryanandkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great upgrade! Thanks for sharing you method.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Megan! Just catching up here! Love this idea - you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great furniture revamp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks awesome! It's amazing what the little punch of color did! And I love the mirror on top!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read every one! I try to answer questions in the comment section since many readers are "no reply" and so everyone can benefit from the response- so please check back. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blog design + development by fabulous k HWH Blog Policies